Victoria University of Wellington Tramping Club
Welcome to VUWTC Sign in | Join | Help
in Search

Rock Craft 2

Last post 07-05-2007, 7:07 PM by Ollie. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  01-05-2007, 3:59 PM 919

Rock Craft 2

CLIMBING!!!

Rockcraft 2 is soon!!

May the 11th to the 13th actually...

So for those of you who are thinking of coming on it really should be coming along to fergs on wednesday night and get some of those climbing skills up, I have finished teaching the alpine club and now can focus on you guys!

Rockcraft 2 is a great intro to proper climbing, we are headed up north to Wharepapa (about 1 hours drive from taupo) - for those who have been there before, the actual crags we will be going to are smith rock and waipapa. There is a great range of grades here - from 12 (which is like the easiest route on the slab at fergs) to 28 (which is just silly). we will be leaving on friday night/afternoon, climbing all saturday, half of sunday and then driving back to wellington getting home hopefully about 8ish.

Its going to cost somewhere between $40 and $50 dollars i think - it is quite a drive to get up there and it costs $2 a night to camp.
    ...perhaps someone else should work out how much it costs, im fairly sure thats what it was last year though....

You wont need any special rock climbing gear, though if you have any, it wont hurt to bring it! the club has a decent supply of harnesses, ropes and helmets. Climbing shoe wise, the club has some which are falling to bits, feel free to use them or climb in sneakers or go hire some from an outdoor shop in town.

some other things of note:

-we will be staying in tents
    -there is little to no walking going on - bring lots of double brown and cakes with less than 7 eggs!
    -annabel smells
    -i cant promise the sun, if its going to be raining, the trip will be postponed
    -if its sunny, its going to be awsome!!
    -bring cameras, photos of people falling off rocks are funny (we will be using ropes, falling is not the end of the world, i do it regulary)
    -it is nice, safe and only as hard as you want it to be!

even if you think rock climbing is a bit pointless or small or hard (you silly people) but want to improve your alpine/mountaineering skills, come along! A lot of the skills/mindset involved are similar.

so again, come along to fergs for these next two wednesdays, its easier to teach people how to lead climb indoors, i will also give a few technique pointers on how to climb stuff and go over some more advanced rock climbing stuff if people want!

Ollie

tuohyoliv@student.vuw.ac.nz
    027 331 9999

Filed under: ,
  •  01-05-2007, 4:20 PM 921 in reply to 919

Re: Rock Craft 2

I don't think you need to postpone it if it rains, it always rains at Wharepapa! You just have to remedy the situation by purchasing two 20 packs of Double Brown in Levin on the way instead of one if the forecast is bad :)

Filed under: ,
  •  01-05-2007, 5:51 PM 922 in reply to 919

Annabel smells good is what I think you meant to write Ollie!! Just cause you're jealous of my amazing fragrance!

•  01-05-2007, 10:52 PM 924 in reply to 921

ok, postponed if floods of epic proportions are predicted.... i will need time to build myself a Ark.

...but hopefully it will be sunny!!
  •  02-05-2007, 10:35 PM 928 in reply to 924

and also, have just been told, the Climbing shop (which has the best range of climbing gear in NZ probably) has a sale on while we are up there, 20-40% off everything!

exciting stuff, i see myself buying even more shiny new trad gear....
  •  05-05-2007, 9:43 PM 943 in reply to 928

Smiths is off limits to climbers at the moment.  The new owners were nervous about people climbing there and when a bus load of school children turned up at 8am one morning they decided to ban climbing altogether. 

Waipapa is the best crag in the district and not on private land and Froggat is still open!

•  07-05-2007, 7:07 PM 947 in reply to 943

grrrr damn kids.... ah well, plenty of climbing to be had up there!

cheers for the info though :)

Ollie
View as RSS news feed in XML